Do It Yourself Debt Collection

County Court Judgement Guide

Notes for claimant on completing a claim form

Before you begin completing the claim form
You must think about whether alternative dispute resolution (ADR) is a better way to reach an agreement before
going to court. The leaflet `I`m in a dispute - What can I do?` explains more about ADR and how you can attempt to
settle your claim.

Please read all the notes which follow the order in which information is required on the form.

Before completing this form, consider whether you might prefer to issue online

If you are filling in the claim form by hand, please use black ink and write in block capitals.

Copy the completed claim form and the defendant`s notes for guidance so that you have one copy for yourself, one
copy for the court and one copy for each defendant.

If the claim is for a sum of money then you must send it to the County Court Money Claims Centre,
PO Box 527, Salford, M5 0BY.

If it is a High Court claim or is a claim for anything other than money you should send the form and the fee to a
court office.

Notes on completing the claim form

You must fill in the heading of the form to indicate the name of the court where you want the claim to be issued. If you want the claim to proceed in the County Court and it is for money only, you must enter `County Court Money Claims Centre`.

The claimant and defendant:
As the person issuing the claim, you are called the `claimant`. Please enter your name and address. The person you are suing is called the `defendant`. Please enter their name. You must provide the following information about yourself and the defendant according to the capacity in which you are suing and in which the defendant is being sued.

Providing information about yourself and the defendant:
(ffull address including postcode)
You should provide the address including postcode for yourself and the defendant or its equivalent in any European Economic Area (EEA) state (if applicable). If an address does not have a postcode you will need to ask the judge for permission to serve the claim with this information missing. There is no additional fee for this, but the court will not allow your claim to be served without the postcode, unless you have permission from the judge.

When suing or being sued as:- an individual:
You must enter his or her full name where known, including the title (for example, Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr.) and residential address postcode and telephone number. Where the defendant is a proprietor of a business, a partner in a firm or an individual sued in the name of a club or other unincorporated association, the address for service should be the usual or last known place of residence or principal place of business.

Where the individual is: trading under another name
You must enter his or her full unabbreviated name where known, and the title by which he or she is known and the full name under which he or she is trading, for example, `Mr. John Smith trading as Smith`s Groceries`. Suing or being sued in a representative capacity you must say what that capacity is for example, `Mr Joe Bloggs as the representative of Mrs Sharon Bloggs (deceased)`.suing or being sued in the name of a club or other unincorporated association add the words `suing/sued on behalf of ` followed by the name of the club or other unincorporated unincorporated business - a firm. In the case of a partnership (other than a limited liability partnership) you must enter the full name of the business followed by the suffix `a firm` for example, `Bandbox - a firm` and an address including postcode for service. This may either be one of the partners residential addresses or the principal or last known place of business of the firm. A company registered in England and Wales or a Limited Liability Partnership. In the case of a registered company or limited liability partnership, enter the full name followed by the appropriate suffix (for example, `Ltd`.) and an address including postcode which is either the company`s registered office or any place of business in the UK that has a connection with the claim e.g. where goods were bought. A corporation (other than a company) enter the full name of the corporation and any suffix and the address including postcode in the UK which is either its principal office or any other place where the corporation carries on activities and which has a connection with the claim. An overseas company (defined by s744 of the Companies Act 1985) enter the company`s full name and any suffix if appropriate and address including postcode. The address must either be the registered address under s691 of the Act or the address of the place of business having a connection with the claim under 18 write `(a child by Mr Joe Bloggs his litigation friend)` after the name. If the child is conducting proceedings on their own behalf write `(a child)` after the child`s name. A patient within the meaning of the Mental Health Act 1983 write `(by Mr Joe Bloggs his litigation friend)` after the patient`s name.

Brief details of claim
You must set out under this heading:
A concise statement of the nature of your claim
The remedy you are seeking e.g. payment of money

If you are claiming a fixed amount of money (a `specified amount`) write the amount in the box at the bottom right-hand corner of the claim form against `amount claimed`. If you are not claiming a fixed amount of money (an `unspecified amount`) under `Value` write “I expect to recover” followed by whichever of the following applies
to your claim:
`not more than £10,000`
or 'more than £10,000 but not more than £25,000`
or `more than £25,000`
If you are not able to put a value on your claim, write `I cannot say how much I expect to recover`.

This Product

This Product

Added to basket